Monday, September 10, 2007

Some Comments for My Students

Student A: Why is it only week two and I am already annoyed with you? Why do you always come to class 25 minutes late? Why have you done this in every biophysimistry course you have taken in our department? If it really is just because of parking, why haven't you figured out in the course of the last three years that you need to leave earlier? Also, you speak and interact with a slight air of arrogance and entitlement. It is slight enough that you could get away with it - if you were really competent. You aren't. So instead, it is incredibly annoying.

Student B: Why must you always respond to everything as if it is about you? The class just asked if you all could, as is my usual "grace period upon request", turn in the homework by 5pm. I said "Yes". You said, "That doesn't help me. I have lab." (A) Not my problem and (B) So does everyone else in the class and (C) You are finished with the homework anyway.

Student C: Okay, let me get this straight. You signed up for this course that has a component which requires you to meet with me for three weeks in a small group and discuss assigned readings. This is the only assignment for these three weeks. I have agreed with your demands to only schedule the group meeting between 4:30 and 6 on T or 3 and 6 on Th, because you live all the way in [different suburb] and it is "too hard" for you to come to campus for just one class the other days, and the rest of T and Th are already filled with other activities, a few of which are classes. I have done this, because the other students can meet then, and because it is only three weeks. Now, you would like to skip the second meeting and meet with me privately because you signed up for some other activity, but you will understand if I say no? Good. No. And by the way [different suburb] is 10 minutes from campus.

0 Comments: