Saturday, September 08, 2007

I Stepped on My Cat

Seriously. Last Sunday.

I went to bed after midnight on Saturday. At 3:02 a.m. Sunday morning, one of the kids woke up screaming from what appears to have been a nightmare. This immediately woke up the other child, who also began crying. This all penetrated my deep sleep stage with some difficulty. I stumbled out of bed and across the pitch black bedroom, stepping on a pile of laundry. With fur. One that began moving just as much of my weight was coming down onto said pile of fur.

Fuck.

I pulled back as best I could. The cat pulled himself free. I lost my balance.

At 3:19 a.m., I'm at the emergency vet clinic with a vomiting cat in a carrier full of bloody fluid.

"Accidents happen" they say, in calm, non-judgmental and very professional attempt to make me feel better.

Remarkably, the cat is fine now, at home and acting like his normal cheerful and ornery self. Dx: Trauma to stomach, liver, kidneys and bladder, complicated by existing, but previously unknown kidney stones and very early stages of renal disease, not so unusual in a 14 year old cat. Treatment: iv fluids for 24+ hours until kidney values come back to normal. Start kidney diet to begin to manage existing early kidney disease.

I'm so relieved. I love that damn cat.


4 Comments:

ScienceWoman said...

Oh. my. goodness. Glad the cat's OK. I've stepped on the princess pup before, but usually just a paw or tail. And I suppose being bigger she's a bit less fragile than a cat.

barbara said...

I'm so glad it all ended well.
Of course it couldn't happen to me now since 1) I no longer have a cat and 2) my kids leave so many possibly fragile toys on the floor that I never, ever move around in the dark.
Your children must be so tidy.

jo(e) said...

Oh! What a terrible experience. I've many times stepped on one of our cats by accident, but they always seem to move fast enough that no damage is done.

I'm glad your cat is going to be okay.

Leslie M-B said...

Poor kitty! Poor Twice!

I'm glad things are working out OK. (My dog is 14 y.o., so I totally get where you're at with the health stuff.)