Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Question

Suppose one has a visiting assistant professor in a small academic department. Let's also suppose that this same department is expecting to do a tenure-track search this year. And, just to round things out, let's assume that there is ample reason to be concerned that the visiting professor is confused and seems to believe his position is being converted, and is not going out for a full search. Let's also assume that when the visiting professor was hired last year, the chairperson made all the decisions and negotiations with minimal (i.e. no) input from other faculty.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it then stand to reasons that it should be the chairperson's job to clear things up about how the tenure-track search will be handled, rather than asking other members of the department to do it?
.
.
.
Yeah, that's what I thought too.

1 Comment:

ScienceWoman said...

Indubitably. (I like the label on the post.)