Friday, February 15, 2008

Yesterday

I'm in a meeting with a campus visitor. My cell phone goes off.

Normally, no one calls me on my cell except Dr. H., and I had just spoken with him on my office phone. Normally, I would not answer. Today, however, I'm answering my phone.

My father-in-law's name flashes across the screen, but I just miss the call.

I turn to my visitors, "It's my father-in-law. I have to call him back."

A moment later my father-in-law answers the phone, "Hello?"

"It's Twice. Everyone is okay."

"Are you..."

"Yes, I'm sure. I just spoke with H. He is okay, the kids are okay. The campus is locked down."

"I just heard, I was so worried."

"I know."

"I couldn't get through."

"I know."

"Is the danger over?"

"They don't know yet. But everyone is following emergency procedures, entrances to buildings are secure. It happened in another building, not near H's, not near the kids' daycare. I don't know any more. Can you let everyone know they are okay?"

"Yes, will you...."

"Yes, I will have him call you as soon as he can."


Peace everyone.

8 Comments:

evilsciencechick said...

wow, I had no idea that's where you work!

glad you're OK, and my prayers are with the the families of the victims and the the shooter.

ScienceWoman said...

Oh Twice. Hugs.

Twice said...

Clarification: Dr. H's campus

Rebecca said...

Wow, I had no idea that anyone I knew, even sight-unseen, was there (or had a spouse there). Glad you're all okay!

Jane said...

Wow. Glad to hear Mr. H and the kids are ok.

Amelie said...

what a shock. I'm glad to hear they are all okay!

jo(e) said...

Oh, how scary.

B said...

very scary, I'm glad you are all ok