Tuesday, July 03, 2007

When it rains....

It's been a good day:


  • The college powers that be asked if we want to keep Retiring Colleague's 1 year old Mac with OS 10something. I claimed it for my lab. It will potentially be useful for my research students and one small upper division lab course.

  • The college approved my request for a "special configuration" replacement desktop . I'm up in the rotation, but you get Generic Very Noisy PC with Windows XP and no monitor unless you ask nicely and give 47 reasons why you are special. Somehow, I convinced them to by me a Dell Precision Workstation with Linux and a 20" flat screen monitor - largely by arguing it is simply a replacement for my current Dell Precision Workstation with Linux and a 20" flat screen monitor and giving only about 29 reasons why I am special.

  • My new MacBook (personal purchase) arrived today! Amazing, you plug it in and everything works. This summer, the education discount includes a free iPod. Assuming Apple honors the rebate, this will be my second free iPod. I won one in a promotional give away last year. I told my Windows using husband "We'll never know what life is like on the other side unless we take the plunge and buy a Mac." So far the grass IS greener. (compared to WinDoze, of course)

0 Comments: