The House has passed a hate crimes bill. I'd be excited if it weren't for the lack of a veto proof majority (212 is a long way from 290). The Time's one line summary:
The bill, extending “hate crime” protections to include sexuality, is likely to face a veto from President Bush.
The usual suspects are up in arms. You know, people who focus on other people's families and women who are concerned about other's peoples sex lives.
In any case, this makes me want to share two completely unrelated thoughts:
1. A great book for kids discussing all kinds of families is Todd Parr's The Family Book. Actually, I like quite a bit of his stuff including The Peace Book, The Mommy Book and The Daddy Book. Some time ago, I introduced my much-more-hippie-than-me sister-in-law to his books. Unfortunately, this resulted in us both buying The Peace Book for the daughter of a second cousin. But I digress. These are great books for encouraging tolerance.
2. On a totally different subject, it's Leather Pride Week in Sydney! Blogthings knows this, apparently:
| You Belong in Australia |
Ace! Sunny, upbeat, and cute You make the perfect surf bum Now stop hogging the vegemite! |
0 Comments:
Post a Comment