Wednesday, May 02, 2007

About Facebook

So, I have somewhat recently succumbed to the Facebook phenomenon. It happened like this: I needed a picture of some cool science-y thing I did with the students for a presentation. I'd heard that one student had put the pictures up on Facebook so I join ed to see her albums. I sent her a message asking for permission to use a few pictures. At once, several students added me "as a friend on Facebook". In any case, this continued and I now have a number of student friends.

I have elected to stay on Facebook for the time being to see how it goes. One nice thing: I recently was added as a friend by a former student (now in grad school) so I now know what he is up to. Another "grown up" friend sends me links to disturbing science You Tube videos via my "Wall". Anyway, I see the usefulness.

I also see what my students are doing instead of doing their homework.

More specifically, I've seen how often they update their status as well as how often they change their profile pictures and write on one another's walls. I assure you it is often. Very often. So, under the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" philosophy, I wonder about using it in teaching. I'm thinking about creating a class group for one of my smaller classes (where everyone is already on Facebook) to see how it might be useful. I've used regular e-mail, formal listservs, blackboard and the like with mixed success. Perhaps there will be an advantage here in that the students are already using this particular implementation of technology all the time anyway. In this article, José Bowen likens using Facebook for class networking to showing up for dinner in the students' dorm - regular e-mail is more like asking a student to come to your office hours. I like the contrast here - why not meet them where they are?

I am not so worried about them doing Facebook in class, as this group tends to put their laptops and cell phones away when class starts. There was a post about this issue at Learning Curves recently, and an interesting piece in the Chronicle in January. I am worried about it in larger lower division classes. Lucky me though, I have all small classes next semester.

4 Comments:

TenureTrackNewbie said...

Great idea. I was actually considering something similar. Just today I took a video of my students in the laboratory and I would love to put it on my facebook page. However I couldn't find the option to post a video.

Twice said...

If they don't allow videos, maybe you have to post to YouTube then just post the link?

Anonymous said...

Interesting idea to use Facebook for class. Do you have happen to have that Chronicle article? I can't access the full text. I'd love to read it, though.

bornindifferent said...

I have recently tried using facebook to bring together my classes and my former students in the hope that the latter would encourage and assist the former. I have had a very small amount of success with it, whilst some of the student have been very keen to join the group, others seem to see it as me invading their territory (even though i was there first dammit!) It's definitely worth a try though. For every student that doesn't want to play, there seems to be two who will at least join. Whether the group will be very active remains to be seen. It may well not be used for the purpose for which I had envisaged it.