I wore a skirt on the first day of class, and once last week for some "meet the parents" thing. Everyone on my floor is like"Wow! You look nice!". Uh, thanks. Perhaps with not so much surprise next time?
Or perhaps this means I should abandon the "I'm wearing jeans because I have lab today" look. Which, truth be told, happens much more often than lab does.
Monday, August 28, 2006
I have to start dressing better
Posted by Twice at 3:13 PM
Labels: Professoriate, Teaching
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 Comments:
one of the post-docs in our lab is reading a book called Ms Mentor's advice to women in science, or something like that. Anyway, one of her bits of advice is if you want respect in the classroom, you have to dress nicer than the students.
But yeah, it would suck to spill acetone or something all over a nice skirt. I never fail to get bleach on me the day I wear something nice.
And, yeah, I get those comments, too. "you look nice today!" "uhhh..thanks. I brushed my hair."
I love Ms. Mentor! But, I must admit, I've been ignoring her advice for a few years. Probably now is a good time to re-read it.
It was my older male colleagues who seemed stunned by my appearance. However, I do think my non-majors are responding better to the better dressed me. The junior and seniors already know me well and dress with them never seems to be much of an issue. I'll keep an eye on this.
DEV4ENKI
Post a Comment