Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A question for a student of mine

I have a student in danger of failing for no good reason, but lots of bad ones. Here are the reasons I have identified so far:


  • He didn't buy the book because someone told him he "didn't need it"
  • He has not had high school PhysChemBio. Instead, had a similar class 8 years ago in middle school that he doesn't really remember much about.
  • That class was taught in a different language.
  • He skips class regularly.


I've suggested he come and see me once a week (in addition to, you know, showing up for class). Today, he came to my office hours for help.

Here's the question I really want to ask him: Did you think it was a good idea to show up in the office of a professor whose class you may be failing reeking of pot?

2 Comments:

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Perhaps you should add this to the list of reasons he is failing?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he needs more help than you can or should give. Perhaps call counseling office at the university and refer him?