Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sinus Surgery Recovery

Recovery from sinus surgery was much easier than I anticipated. Given all the sinus pressure and pain I have been dealing with, the pain aspect was nothing in comparison. The pain from the sinus pressure is mostly gone and has not been worse since the surgery (even in the immediate aftermath) than is was before. I was quite tired on and off, but being able to breathe is amazing. I really, truly, had no idea how much pain I was living with daily until it was gone. My ENT has something like a 4000:0 record for this surgery, the 0 being the number of people with major complications. Still, I was nervous about potential complications (like death, blindness, brain injury) so I am relieved it all went well.

My recovery was nothing like this described in Wil Wheaton's blog. (Which, frankly gave me pause about the whole operation.) I had no splints and only a very small amount of packing and very little bleeding which contributed greatly to the post-op comfort. I went back to the ENT for my two week follow-up yesterday and one side still has a bunch of junk, so he suctioned around in there (quite uncomfortable despite Novocaine) to try to loosen things up. All normal, he assures me.

Anyway, I am so glad I did it.

7 Comments:

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Suction? Ugh. I'm glad it went well for you. I had so many ENT problems as a kid that now I dread going in for even minor problems.

Rebecca said...

Glad your surgery went well and that you're feeling better!

Amelie said...

Glad to hear that you're recovering so well!

Anonymous said...

I too had sinus surgery two weeks ago and I experienced pretty much the same as you did. My surgery lasted two and a half hours. I felt little pain afterwards and was able to complete my pain meds within 24 hours. I experienced some pain when the doctor took my packing out the next morning but it was just when he started taking it out then it was fine. It feels so great to be able to breath again. When I went back in for my two week check I too had the suctioning done. Ouch! I didn't like that at all but I know it had to be done. I am still feeling a little tenderness when I breath. I will go in to my ENT again in two weeks to see how things are going. I am so glad that I had it done because my headaches were so terrible that I was throwing up like with a migraine. Thanks for your info.

robert said...

I had sinus surgery today, and it went fine. I feel great now, in fact, but that's probably just the pain meds, haha. Anyhow, are any of you smokers? If so, how long are you supposed to wait before you smoke post-op? Thanks for your input.

sinus surgery Los Angeles said...

many a times in our lives it happens that when we are in pain of a disease the options laid before us scare us and we fear to take the options like surgery.Most often than not they help relieve the pain.Good to hear your story.

nose lift Philippines said...

Finding the right doctor is probably the most important thing. Although these procedures have become more common, they are no less serious than a regular surgery, and a choice of doctor is just as important.

aljur