Monday, June 02, 2008

A conversation

A quick check in about the current age of my twins led to the following conversation between the two women sitting in front of me at graduation:

Professor A: My nephew and his wife are having triplets.

Professor B: Wow, triplets! And she wasn't on any medication?

Professor A: Well, I really don't know one way or the other.

Professor B: Oh, I see, so she could have been.

Professor A: Well, she's 29, so probably not.

Professor B: Ah yes.

Aside from wondering why this question is often the first question people ask about multiples, and wanting to tell them how annoying such questions are to mothers of multiples regardless of whether their conceptions were assisted or not, I wanted to yell at them about assuming infertility is all about a woman's age. But alas, my attempts to break into the conversation where thwarted.

Oh yeah, and Professor A? She's a nurse.

3 Comments:

Amelie said...

argh.

Julie R said...

I hate these kinds of comments too. I also hate that my having twins is some how license to ask me any and all questions about my gynecological history.

barbara said...

Should we declare it Most Obnoxious Question For A Multiple Mother? And that the official answer from all of us is "None of your business"?

BTW, it works both ways: as I was in my late thirties when the twins were born, many people assumed I was taking fertility drugs.