I met my honor's class for the last time today and gave them each a science-related general interest book for summer reading. Among the books I handed out: Bright Earth by Philip Ball (to the Art major), Critical Mass by the same author (to the student interested in nuclear issues and politics), Cities in the Wilderness by Bruce Babbitt (to the student interested in sustainability), and Oxygen (the play) by Carl Djerassi and Roald Hoffmann (to the theater major).
I do this occasionally for non-majors in small (<10 students) classes when I've enjoyed their enthusiasm (and I think they will read and enjoy them). I also give books as graduation presents to our majors. Total cost for the non-major class: $105.73. (Paperbacks, nothing fancy.) I figure I bought these and these for myself recently for no defensible reason*, so what is $106 to support lifelong learning in science?
*Other than my obsession with Reebok Freestyle hitops which I've been wearing for 25 years.
3 Comments:
Thanks for the heads up on Cities in the Wilderness. That may be coming soon to a shelf near me. I also have to applaud your interest in your students.
Really a nice post.. Well, I am also obsessed with Reebok shoes.
I love that you give books to your students.
Post a Comment