When I first started teaching, I was stunned to find out that students actually missed tests! They sometimes just don't show up! Who knew?
I quickly grew tired of feeling like (a) a failed lie detector (b) a pushover or (c) a resentful bitch instructor, so I searched for a better way.
In my lower level classes, I adopted the "retake" policy of one of my former colleagues: everyone gets to take one (modified) test over for any reason. That seems simple enough, but the policy does get more complicated: If you didn't take the test the first time, you must score at least X to have your test counted. If you did take the test the first time and you score higher, you get the higher score. Score lower, but within Y points of the first attempt, keep your higher score. Score more than Y points lower and your score is determined by this ultra-complicated formula: (2*HI+LO)/3.
This provides a negative incentives for skipping just because you can, as missing tests is not, in my experience, a good omen for success. There is a small risk of retaking so if you are not prepared, you won't waste my time, or yours. The, um, "ultra-complicated" formula seems to be a deterrent as well, simply because some students aren't sure what it means.
So does it work?
Yes! I love this system. I also love that the student who blows the first test (Whoa! college.... Science...) but gets organized and buckles down can re-take that first test (in a similar incarnation). My current record point increase is 54 on a 100 point test.
I don't do this in my upper level classes. Why? Because I've never really had much of a problem there. Then this happened. The short version: one student, called Jill here, missed an exam and had a "suspicious" excuse. Whatever. This is rare enough in this class, I let it go. Everyone in my upper level classes gets the benefit of the doubt the first time. Then Jill asked another student what was on the test. I believe she skipped the test to gain more study time, and the cheating attempt was a crime of opportunity, but either way, I was not happy.
So now, the "Jill Rule" joins all the other specific rules added to my syllabus because of the actions of one student. There is the "Bob Rule", the "Alexis rule" and even the "Crazy Paranoid Student Rule". What is the "Jill Rule"? An XX% penalty on exam retakes for unexcused reasons.
Guess who missed the first test this semester? I guess she didn't read the syllabus.
Thursday, March 06, 2008
Missed Exams
Posted by Twice at 10:51 PM
Labels: general education science, rants, Teaching
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 Comments:
Student stupidity often frames my rules on my syllabus. Among some of my favorite rules...
1. I calculate your grade to one significant figure; you should do likewise.
2. "I don't understand" and "I don't get it" do not constitute questions. Students who rely solely on these statements when help-seeking will lose xx% of their participation grade.
Here's to our syllabus!
Heh. I am going to have to add the Captain Obvious Rule of Collaboration (collaboration != copying wholesale) to my syllabus after a rash of cheating cases in one of my classes. (My syllabus actually already says this, but apparently I have to put in in boldface, all-caps, 20-point font.) This will join the Mr. Can't Wake Up In Time For Class No Quiz Makeup Rule and the Mr. Timekeeper Late Assignment Policy, inspired by students past.
Sigh.
Post a Comment