Well, I'd just come to terms with the planet being destroyed by an asteroid, and had begun to make peace with the whole super-volcano thing and now, thanks to catching a snippet of "Last Days on Earth" on the History Channel, I have something new to worry about:
Wandering black holes!
Great, I had no idea these things wandered around.
Just a few symptoms, for those who also enjoy worrying:
* mile high tides
* sucking sound as the atmosphere is sucked away from the Earth - fun!
When I was in elementary school, we used to watch disaster-preparedness films. You know, the ones with titles like Flash Flood! or Earthquake! or Tsunami!. These were supposed to help us see the warning signs and teach us what to do in the event of such a disaster.
I found the Tsunami! one to be particularly disturbing. It kept me up at night when I was nine.
Did I mention I was living in Arizona at the time?
But, what is it with the History Channel? It seems full of shows with "doomsday" "mega/super/mondo disaster" or "Armageddon" in their titles. Is that history? Is the person in charge of programming just really depressed? Sometimes the show descriptions even come with references to psychic predictions and biblical warnings. What is up with that?
Just wondering.
Here is one last photo from our cruise:
The views of a seemingly endless ocean with no land in sight really blew my mind. One night, while watching the sun set, I said to Dr. H.: "Look at this. This is one fucking amazing planet."
Monday, January 21, 2008
One more thing to take up some brain space worrying about
Posted by Twice at 7:20 PM
Labels: general blogging
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 Comments:
Just imagine teaching a natural disasters course! I started doing just that in 2003 and have never been the same since. Considering my worry-wort tendencies, it might not have been a good choice for me, but it's a great class! I am learning to just tune it all out... For the moment, I'm preoccupied with fears of trying to have a baby after 35 (no luck so far!)
Hilarious!
I can't watch the History Channel. Too bleak. I had to give up a subscription to the History Book Club because all the books were about war and genocide and whatnot. Were there women's history shows and books? Not so much.
Post a Comment