Saturday, November 17, 2007

No wonder

Our house is constantly a mess. At this point, we have given up on actually having a clean house, we just aim to keep it from being too disgusting so our neighbors don't call social services on us. We have been planning to hire a housecleaning service since the twins were born, but there has never been a moment when the house clean enough for long enough for me to be willing to bring them in for a quote.

My mom was here two weekends ago. We all had a great time and I was once again reminded that it is desirable for adults to outnumber children.

On Friday, after a long day of work, airport runs, cooking and kids, we got the kids in bed. My mother went to unpack. Dr. H and I immediately collapsed on the couch with our laptops. Me on my new Macbook, reading NYT articles and blogs; him on his Vaio, playing Kingdom of Loathing. A short time later, my mother begins to pick up the living room. I try to stop her, but she says "Well, I just thought it would be nice, you know, so everything is straightened when we come down in the morning."

Dr. H and I look at each other in amazement. Cleaning is almost never the first thing we think of once the kids are in bed.

"That explains a lot." I say, looking around at the squalor we call our home.

It made me think immediately of Emma Jane's observation that some people run their lives differently than others.

1 Comment:

hgg said...

Sounds like if you both spent a few evenings decluttering one room at a time after kids' bedtime your house would be in shape for bringing in people from a cleaning service. I bet NYT, your favourite blogs and Kingdom of Loathing (whatever that is) will still exist when you choose to return to them. It's hard to get motivated when you just want to relax in the evenings but the reward is amazing; you can get cleaning service!