Saturday, June 09, 2007

Packing

We are busy packing up our belongings. Soon, we will be returning home from Sabbatical U. Dr. H reminded me of the time we packed up my apartment when I left my last institution. I had a lot of plants and could not possibly take them all with me. I gave a bunch to some colleagues, but did not know what to do with my outdoor potted plants and remaining houseplants. A woman with an apartment on the other side of the building also had a lot of plants outside, so I asked her if she would like to take them. She happily agreed, saying she would find homes for them all. She took some, then said she would come back the next day for the rest.

The next day, she shows up at my door, smiles and hugs me. Then she tells us how wonderful we are and gives me a sprig of flowering dogwood. It was silk. "Uh...thanks!" I say.

She collects the rest of the plants. I thank her for taking them. She says to me as she leaves:

"You're so welcome. And don't worry - they are all going to good Christian homes, every one! Such good Christians!"

The door closes behind her.

Dr. H. looks at me: "Uh, Jews like plants too?"

I look at him: "Good thing she didn't know those were heathen plants."

0 Comments: