My father is coming to visit this weekend. I have not seen him in about six years. The last time was when he came to my wedding. He has never met the children, so this will be exciting for all.
He set up this visit months ago, which was a nice surprise. He is driving in from his daughter's house* just one state away from sabbatical state. Two weeks ago, he called to set up a time to arrive. "Let me know when you are planning to be home from work - I'll arrive then. I won't cut into your work day." I asked him just to let me know, but he insisted - just tell him when I'd be home. Okay. That means sixish, after picking up the kids at spectacular sabbatical day care. Again, I offered to come home earlier, perhaps we could at least move it to five. "No, no," he assured me "I'll be there at six."
Tonight I called him to find out when he was coming, having professed to Dr. H I was sure he would come earlier. Sure enough: "I'll be there around 3."
Now, if he had arrived at three and called me (if he was able to reach me) I would have to pack up, walk or bus to my car (20 min, either way - lots of construction), then drive to daycare (farther away than is ideal - 20 min), pick up kids + their stuff and get briefed on their day (15 min, with carseat buckling, etc.), drive back home (25 min). Add time for traffic and we are pushing 1.5 hours. That's 1.5 hours he would be sitting outside my house with nothing to do, waiting for me to arrive.
Why is this familiar? Flashback to wedding: Coed bachelor/bachelorette party on Thursday (parents not invited), then running around, getting tuxes and rehearsal dinner on Friday. I told my Dad to arrive Thursday evening or early Friday, because we would be busy during the day and evening on Thursday. When does he show up? 10 a.m. Thursday.
I'm guessing he'll be here tomorrow at 2.
* Long story, more on this later.
Thursday, April 12, 2007
A Typical Beginning
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment